Home' InDaily : August 27th 2010 Contents www.independentweekly.com.au
5The Independent Weekly
news August 27 - September 2, 2010
Tiger Airways has refused to
confirm or deny possible job
losses after announcing two more
Adelaide routes will be cancelled.
A spokesperson for the company
also declined to elaborate on the
airline s continued presence in
"We are working closely with
our staff in Adelaide," spokes-
person Vanessa Regan told The
"We remain committed to South
Australia and are still the only
major domestic airline with a crew
base at Adelaide Airport."
Tiger Airways announced this
week the Adelaide-Brisbane and
Adelaide-Gold Coast routes would
be cancelled from November 10.
Flights between Adelaide and
Hobart ceased this month, leaving
just the Sydney and Melbourne
Tiger Airways was given $2
million from the State Government
to establish a base here, but neither
party would reveal the conditions
attached to the funding.
Industry and Trade Minister Tom
Koutsantonis said Tiger had met all
its obligations to date.
"I will be seeking a meeting with
the managing director of Tiger
Airways as soon as possible to
seek assurances the company will
continue to meet its obligations,"
"As passenger traffic continues
to increase through Adelaide
Airport we remain optimistic Tiger
will resume a growth path for its
Ms Regan said flights between
Adelaide and Melbourne s second
airport, Avalon, would begin on
"We will have two aircraft
operating from our new Avalon
Airport base, two aircraft based in
Adelaide and five aircraft based at
Melbourne Airport Tullamarine,"
The two Queensland routes were
cut for "underperforming". The
Sydney and Melbourne routes are
performing "to expectation", Ms
Tourism Minister John Rau said
the Government would continue to
try to attract airlines to establish
bases in Adelaide.
Shadow Tourism Minister David
Ridgway said Tiger s reduction in
flights reflected poorly on the local
The sale of the Chelsea Cinema
could still go ahead in the
next two weeks, despite
an investigation by the SA
Ombudsman into the legality of the
process leading to a sale.
Ombudsman Richard Bingham
this week presented Burnside
Council, which is responsible for
the sale, with a letter informing it
of the investigation.
In the letter, Mr Bingham says
he will be considering "possible
breaches of the Local Government
Act 1999", after a complaint was
made by the Save the Chelsea
While the letter states that
continuing the sale process
during the investigation would be
"contrary to the public interest, and
unreasonable and wrong" under
section 25 of the Ombudsman Act,
the council claims it isn t legally
required to stop making decisions
about the cinema. "While he (Mr
Bingham) has suggested he sees no
reason to finalise a sale before the
commencement of the council s
caretaker mode and before the
conclusion of his review, there
is no legal directive on council to
halt the lease or sale process," said
Burnside Council acting CEO Paul
The council will automatically
be prevented from making
significant decisions when it goes
into caretaker mode on September
7 ahead of local government
Before then, council is due to
discuss a motion concerning the
reserve price set for the cinema s
sale. Mr Deb said the motion could
be considered at next Tuesday s
council meeting, but councillors
may choose to postpone the
"It will be at the discretion of
council as to when these remaining
items will be discussed. No decision
has yet been made," he said.
Despite reports the sale had been
halted, a council spokesperson said
yesterday Mr Deb s statements were
accurate and no decision could be
made until council sat again.
The Save the Chelsea Cinema
Group has welcomed the
Ombudsman s investigation and
believes it will help its efforts to
protect the cinema, even if the sale
process is not immediately halted.
"It s an excellent outcome. There
is a question mark as to whether
the council is legally compelled
to stop the sale," said group
spokesperson Andrew Phillips, "but
the community will have a chance
to say how they feel the Chelsea
should be handled when they vote."
Others are not as enthusiastic
about the Ombudsman s decision.
The Palace Nova Group and Maras
Group have partnered to bid on the
cinema. They say the process has
been "frustrating to say the least".
In a letter seeking to reassure
the public they would respect
the heritage and iconic status of
the cinema with a sympathetic
renovation, Palace Nova Group
managing director Barry Peak said:
"We are extremely frustrated with
the process and the utter debacle
that has ensued."
Mr Deb said he was not worried
about the Ombudsman s review.
"As we have already had one
independent legal review into our
processes and procedures and
was found to be compliant, I am
confident the work that Council
has done over the past two years
will stand up to this new review,"
No curtains yet
for the Chelsea
The play's not the only thing
Art organisations are luring
young people to shows and
exhibitions with cheap
alcohol, discount tickets and
parties, but many of the initiatives
seem to have long-term results.
The State Theatre Company
recently launched its Red Carpet
program which offers people in
their 20s and 30s cheap tickets to see
a play, and then access to cast and
crew at an after-show party with
free drinks, food and music.
The organisation s marketing
manager, Kristy Rebbeck, said the
party and drinks were not the main
point of the events.
"The whole reason we decided
to do it was we found young people
wanted a little bit more for their
money and a little bit more of an
insight into the way we do our
business," she said.
State Theatre Company s model
for engaging youth follows the
successful Departure nights run by
the SA Art Gallery.
Departure has been running
since 2005. The gallery puts on
drinks, speeches, food and other
entertainment with the opening
of an exhibition. Limited tickets
for less than $50 are sold for the
Marketing manager Miranda
Starke said Departure helped
overcome the perception of the
gallery as stuffy and intimidating.
"What we try to do is make an all-
encompassing creative experience,"
she said. "That means it isn t just
about opening an exhibition and
having drinks next door, it s about
asking what is that exhibition
we re showcasing; fleshing out
and bringing to life the themes
Since Departure started, the
gallery has recorded a 10 per cent
increase in the number of visits by
people under 40.
Interstate theatre companies
often target the student market
with a "Pay-what-you-can" scheme,
which doesn t involve alcohol.
Most independent theatre
companies in Sydney offer one or
two performances in a play season
where people are invited to pay
what they can afford, as long as it is
above a minimum of about $10.
While some companies in
Adelaide use similar schemes,
they are generally aimed at welfare
recipients or concession card
"Theatres are a place which
provide an opportunity for
individuals and communities to see
themselves and learn about other
people s cultures and opinions,"
said Tahli Corin, co-ordinator of
Sydney s B Sharp company, which
offers a pay-what-you-can night.
"That conversation should be
available to every single Australian,
not just those who can afford full
B Sharp promotes its night to
young people through Facebook
and a partnership with a local
university. These outreach points
are also commonly used by local
initiative Fringe Benefits, which
encourages performers to offer
cheaper tickets to members aged
A Tiger Airways plane.
Add art, alcohol and mix: event-based marketing is proving successful in attracting
young people to the arts.
The State Government has
appointed former Labor MP
Lindsay Simmons to a government
advisory body on an estimated
$30,000 annual salary.
Ms Simmons was a one-term
ALP member for the state seat of
Morialta. She was elected in 2006,
only to lose it at the next election
which was in March this year.
Yesterday, Training and
Further Education Minister
Jack Snelling announced Ms
Simmons appointment to the
Training and Skills Commission.
Based on last year s Boards and
Committees register, $30,000 is the
going rate for a member of that
But that remuneration is paid for
apparently just eight meetings per
In other changes to the com-
mission, Mr Snelling announced
that three former members would
not be continuing. They are
Patrick Wright, Adjunct Associate
Professor of Labour Studies at
the University of Adelaide s
Australian Institute for Social
Research; Professor Roy Green,
Dean of the Faculty of Business
at the University of Technology,
Sydney; and Professor Roger
Harris, Director of the Centre for
Research in Education, Equity and
Work at the University of South
Ms Simmons will be paid at
the same rate as these three
university professors, who have
years of experience in the field and
hold internationally recognised
The Minister described Ms
Simmons as "a former teacher, MP,
industry consultant and policy
development manager for the SA
Council on the Ageing".
Ex-MP Simmons gets $30,000 gig
Links Archive August 26th 2010 August 30th 2010 Navigation Previous Page Next Page