Home' InDaily : March 5th 2010 Contents www.independentweekly.com.au
March 5 - 11, 2010
Bedford s snag
Bedford chief executive Max
Dyason puts some snags on
the BBQ this week hoping to
inspire thousands of others
to do the same. Mr Dyason
will host some of the state's
key business and sporting
identities in his own backyard
to raise awareness of the
inaugural Bedford Backyard
BBQ -- a new fundraiser to
help Bedford continue to
give people with a disability
the opportunity to achieve
their potential. Designed to
complement the Bedford Big
BBQ, held at Adelaide Oval on
March 26, the backyard event
will give those who can't at-
tend the city event the oppor-
tunity to support the cause
from the comfort of their own
home, office or local venue.
Time to go kids
Aussie parents are least likely
to have to put up with stay-at-
home adult offspring accord-
ing to a recent survey by Citi-
Fin-Q covering 11 countries,
including our major trading
partners. Living rent-free with
parents is most common in
Thailand (32 per cent), Taiwan
(28 per cent), and Indonesia
(26 per cent) and least com-
mon in Australia (5 per cent)
and China (9 per cent).
Banking on Hazell
One of the biggest names in
Adelaide's banking sector has
been elevated to the board
of directors at Bendigo and
Adelaide Bank. Jim Hazell
currently chairs the board
Bendigo and Adelaide's
Rural Bank and throughout
his career has worked in
numerous roles within the
regional banking landscape.
What s in a name?
Plenty, if it's the right one.
According to a new study re-
leased last week, conducted
by global consumer research
company Millward Brown,
chocolate brand Lindt has
nudged out cosmetics com-
pany Clinique as most recom-
mended brand in Australia.
Secrecy, cancelled meetings and
a big hole in the ground -- that s
all that exists today of Holcon s
$55 million grand Walkerville Village
plan for 46 apartments, a shopping
centre, basement and rooftop park-
ing, first approved in January 2007.
"I m thinking of having it heritage
listed," Walkerville mayor David
Whiting joked at a recent public
meeting where residents were
seeking answers on why the massive
hole remains undeveloped.
"Seriously, it s a disgrace and a
blight on the town of Walkerville,"
the mayor said after the meeting.
"The Hole", as it is known locally,
has been the focal point of concern
for residents since activity at the site
ceased more than a year ago.
In June, residents told The
Independent Weekly they were
dismayed at the ugliness of the
site and were tired of waiting for
something to happen.
Developer Holcon contracted
Sarah Constructions to begin
earthworks on the complex back in
The company removed 30 trees
and carved out a basement carpark
directly behind Transport House.
But in January 2009 Sarah workers
locked the site and left.
"That s the last activity we ve
seen," said the mayor.
"Holcon are not talking to us," he
"We have had meetings booked
with them and then they pull out.
"Most recently we had a meeting
booked for a Friday, checked with
them late Thursday and they still
didn t turn up."
The Hole -- previously used
as the northern carpark for the
Department of Transport, Energy
and Infrastructure (DTEI) -- was sold
to Holcon in August 2007.
The government s official line at
the time was that the money would
be used to upgrade the southern
carpark to accommodate the needs of
its 800 DTEI employees.
But the Government sold the
DTEI building last year sending the
Walkerville development into further
"The Government won t tell
us who bought the building," Mr
"We now have two developers on
what is essentially one site and we
don t even know if one is talking to
"We can only go on what we are
told, and currently we are being told
"Minister Conlon s office said they
can t say until June who bought the
building, because it was commercial
Holcon s managing director
Stephen Connor has not returned
calls from The Independent Weekly
Back in August 2009 he said Holcon
wanted to abandon the apartments
component of the original plan and
construction would resume shortly
with completion due by mid 2010.
A consultant to the company,
Justin Hazell claimed it was "busi-
ness as usual".
"We are still leasing space in the
centre," Mr Hazell said.
But for residents of Walkerville,
the hole remains as a reminder of
the six-year long controversy over
proposed redevelopment of their
town s central precinct.
Businesses along the Walkerville
Tce shopping strip remain in the
dark about the future viability of
their outlets and what the future
holds for the commercial
"All we hear are rumours," said
one retailer who asked not to be
"So we just keep on as we are and
hope one day someone will tells us
what s going on."
Hub or Hole? Residents outside the hole on Walker ville Tce.
Photo: Kate Elmes
Adelaide s Clipsal 500 is feeling
the dual pain of tougher economic
conditions and higher costs for
infrastructure installation with
taxpayers likely to pick up the bill.
Revenues from corporate sponsor-
ship and entertainment packages are
down around a million dollars on last
year -- and $2 million down on 2008.
The declines in top-line revenue
coincide with increased costs for the
put up and pull down of temporary
grandstands and pit pavilion.
"It s the kind of pain experienced
by major events all around the
nation," said Clipsal spokesman Mike
"In 2008 our corporate revenue
was $9.62 million; it went down to
$8.65 million in 2009 and it s tracking
further down for this month s race.
"At the top end of the market -- the
pit pavilion corporate suites are
selling well, but at the entry level it s a
different story," Mr Drewer said.
"For those smaller types of
corporate tents where in the past
several businesses have combined to
hire a facility for the four days we are
seeing less demand.
"In the current economic environ-
ment companies take the opportunity
to review all of their discretionary
expenditure, so naturally some make
the decision to cut back on this form
of corporate promotion."
Similar trends were seen at
Melbourne s Australian Tennis
For Adelaide s top rating V8 event,
the cost of temporary grandstands,
shade and a new pit pavilion have
added to the costs of staging the race.
"It cost about $1.5 million to put
up and take down infrastructure last
year and it will be slightly more this
year," he said.
"The increase will be in line with
According to the SA Motor Sport
Board s financial report for 2009 the
$20 million capital cost of temporary
infrastructure will be amortised over
Budgeted "commitments for the
staging of future events" for the next
five years jumped from $8.4 million in
2008 to $33.6 million in 2009, according
to the 2009 annual report.
The report notes that more than
$3 million had been spent on the
cancelled permanent grandstand
The 2009 event was attended by
272,800 motor racing fans over the four
The event is underwritten by the
Photo: Kate Elmes
packages are down
around a million dollars
on last year -- and $2
million down on 2008.
AICD EVENTS DIRECTORS LUNCHEON
Interview Luncheon with
Senator Nick Minchin
Join us for a rare intimate fireside
style chat with Senator Nick Minchin,
Leader of the Opposition in the Senate
as he is interviewed on the hot topics
such as the current federal political
landscape, global issues, climate
change, and current director issues.
Date: Wednesday 24 March 2010
Venue: InterContinental Adelaide
Time: 12.00pm to 2.00pm
Do not miss your place at this
To register, contact Nadine Turhan
on 1300 783 566 or email
Links Archive March 4th 2010 March 9th 2010 Navigation Previous Page Next Page